This abandoned historical site once consisting of 42 interconnected buildings is located 18 miles from Thule and an elevation of 2,800 feet was the free world's northernmost surveillance unit.
Those working there proudly called themselves the "P-Mountaineers."
Since the majority of their work was indoors, their work uniform was the summer weight 1505s, a rarity in the Arctic locale.
Housed in this small cluster of prefabricated buildings, held down by huge cement blocks and thick steel cables is a small city with numbered streets in one direction and avenues bearing the names of many states running in another.
To name some of the buildings.
- Chapel (renovated in 1964 by a self help project)
- Physical conditioning room
- Small BX open 7 days a week
- 2 lane bowling alley open 7 days a week
- MARS station
- Modern decor dining room serving 4 meals daily
- Separate clubs for officers, NCO's and airmen
- Hobby shops
- Snack bar serving malts, sundaes, and light snacks from 1630 to 2330
It had a battery of 11 huge diesel generators providing electrical power and lighting, enough power in fact to supply a city with a population of 20,000.
Totally dependent on the 18 miles access road from Thule Air Base for re-supply of food, fuel, water, mail and other necessities, the weather played havoc with the comfort and everyday conveniences of the personnel.
It took 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to P Mountain in clear weather, and up to 7 hours in a phase.
In 1998, the last facility located on P Mountain, an unmanned relay station that supported Greenlandic Telephone from the south, and north to Qaanaaq was taken down.
All the radar screens and buildings have been torn down.
Currently, access to the top of the mountain via road (and to the adjoining "Radio Mountain") is extremely hazardous as the road is not kept in drivable condition and the drop-offs are severe.